http://grandterracehighschool.blogspot.com/
I don't know if you have heard but we are finally getting a high school here in Grand Terrace. This has been in the works since I was in high school so that just tells you how long it's been. A couple of weeks ago the Colton School Board asked the residents of Grand Terrace and Colton to submit requests for the name. Grand Terrace High School came in first place with 124 votes, in 4th place with 17 votes was Ray Abril Jr. High School. The School Board called a meeting to discuss the name and even though GTHS was the most sought after name they voted 5-1 to name it Ray Abril High School. This was very upsetting to the residents of Grand Terrace as well as Colton that they didn't even listen to the voice of the people. So now I have started a blog/website as a way to keep everyone informed. We also have had meetings with the residents as to what we do next. This is very personal to me as I have been attending School Board meetings regarding the High School in our city for quite a long time now. I just have a hard time understanding why the first High School in our City can't be named after our city when every other High School in our school district as well as the surrounding districts have High Schools named after their cities.
3 comments:
It's so good to have you back! I wish I could be there to help with the naming issue...who is Ray Abril anyway? I think that GTHS has a great ring to it!
I think you are amazing to be heading all this up. I hope to be helping you along the way too.
Thanks for setting up such a site! I still can't believe they've done this to not only the parents that have been waiting years for a new high school but the students who will be able to attend. High School is a time of pride in who you are for teenagers. It's all about the name of your school and our kids deserve a name THEY are proud of not one a bunch of admins decided on!
Post a Comment