Thursday, December 11, 2008

{works for me: making bedtime easier}

I don't know about you but bedtimes around here can sometimes be a little stressful. Because of our active lifestyle we are not always home for the kids to get to bed at 8pm. Between games, young mens, meetings, and Darians work schedule we come home at all hours. If we are home I try to start our night time routine at 7 which includes a bath, a book, and then bed. I tell the girls that if they are in their room by 7:30 then they can watch a movie on their TV. Usually this works out fine but then I will go in and they will still be awake at 9pm. So I have been thinking of different things that I could do to help them fall asleep and I think I have finally figured it out. I uploaded three books on tape to my ipod touch and now at night I just put the ihome in their room with the lights off and they listen to a story. The last two nights they have fallen asleep in just 20 minutes. Both the girls and I love it. So I thought that I would pass this on to you guys. The books range in price from .99 to 19.99. Depending on their popularity and how long they are. I downloaded Junie B. Jones books 1&2 and Superfudge.

15 comments:

Michelle said...

Anything that will make bedtime easier for my little man would be a miracle!! I dread it!!

Aubrey said...

Wow! What a great idea. I bet this is something my daughter would really love. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I was visiting your recipe blog and tried the taco ring the other night. It was a hit!

Sallie said...

fab idea Letti. I may try this one. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a good idea. Kodi is the same way with movies. Whenever we stay at Amelia's the girls watch a movie at bed time. When I go in to check on them Carys is fast asleep, and Kodi is asking for me to start it over.

lynda said...

good idea letti!
the girls already have a couple books on theirs, so i'll have to try that tonight.

angi_b72 said...

that is an awesome idea!!

Rachel Berry said...

Great idea!! I'll have to find some stories for my daughter, she would love this.

Tasha said...

What a great great idea!! our bed time is working right now,but man I love the idea of just putting a book on and walking away :)

apee said...

That's awesome. Fortunately both of my kiddos go right to bed. We read a story, say goodnight and they are fast asleep. I used to lay with Brooklyn but now she goes to bed without any trouble and sleeps through the night!

Holly said...

Great tip! We need it at our house for sure! And the post below so fun! I don't even dare say how many blog I follow Letti, let's just say YES! Thank goodness for bloglines. hehee. :)

Jessica said...

That's agreat idea, my kids are pretty good about bed time, although Riley can not get enough stories, and sometimes I'm too tired!!

Krysta said...

That is such a great idea! Good thinkin'!

Straight to Your Hart said...

Oh..that is so good!! Must do..!!

Lindsay said...

That is an excellent idea! My kids don't have TV's in their rooms, but I do let them have the radio and my daughter listens to stories on CD. They are a little hard to come by - so maybe eventually I will have to download some books from iTunes. You're a genius!

The Sorensen Family said...

oh my gosh I have not blogged in forever you have the cutest blog ever and i love the pics of the kids.