Saturday, October 25, 2008

{touchy subject}

These last couple of weeks have been extremely hard for me in regards to all of these propositions and voting issues. I have been working really hard on Prop 8 along with so many wonderful family and friends. This is such a scary time and I can't help but be afraid of what will happen if prop 8 fails. I just wish that politics didn't have to be so black and white. Recently I have forwarded some prop 8 videos to everyone on my contact list and I got one negative response back. Why is that when you feel so strongly about something you want to shout it from the rooftops but at the same time you don't want to hurt anyone or even worse lose a friend over it. I will no longer be forwarding these videos or anything having to do with prop 8. Last week I got an email stating that the CTA (California Teacher's Association) donated 1 million dollars to the Vote No on 8 campaign. Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous that a teachers union would do this. I can see if this proposition had something to do with schools or teachers but it doesn't. So in response to this they are having a sick out this Monday October 27 and they are asking supporters of prop 8 to keep their kids home from school and to not call in and say they were sick. That way the school doesn't get money for them being gone. The hope is that the schools will lose out on the million dollars or even more that the CTA used to donate to the No on Prop 8 fund. So yes I will be keeping my kids home from school on Monday. This years elections have really opened my eyes for the first time since I have been able to vote. I also want to apologize to anyone that I have offended and I hope that you know that it wasn't intended. I just feel so strongly about this proposition and all that will happen if it doesn't go through. I had someone tell me that I shouldn't be wasting my time with this and I should be teaching my children to love everyone. I think that so far I have taught my children to love everyone. I do not have anything against gays or lesbians personally but I do not want it to be taught in the schools or even just talked about so openly that it is normal. Some of you say it won't be taught or talked about but it will because it is already happening in Massachusetts where same sex marriage is legal. If this passes what would be next, polygamy? Siblings marrying siblings? Where do we draw the line? If we are going to say yes to one group then to be fair we need to say yes to all groups right? I just think that the line needs to be drawn and traditional marriage is the only way to go.

13 comments:

heart nan said...

Is the Bible the word of God or not? I believe it is.
It seems too many people are taking God out of the picture. He has a plan for us so that we can live Happily Ever After as families.
I know He wants us all to have everlasting happiness which comes from keeping His commandments, not just a temporary happiness that comes from doing whatever feels right to us at the moment.
I do love my fellow man. I care, but I can't condone.
This simple videos expresses my feelings well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNA7Ts_OaTc

Sandra said...

You know what Letti... I am just proud of you for taking the time and energy to write this post.

You have every right to send what you want to whomever you want. If you got a negative response... I say good! It was dialogue! He/she is entitled to their opinion too, I just hope they did it in private and not on the blogosphere.

I get bombarded with "Democrats do this, and Democrats are idiots" e mails all the time. More than usual lately. I am a Democrat, who will happen to be voting Yes on 8. Do I enjoy the hate mail? no. I have even started e mailing my views back, and it isn't sitting well with some.

Don't take it personally when someone is passionate about their stance. You did your part, and what you felt was appropriate, and it was your right to do so. Don't stop just because one person was negative. Use that to your advantage and realize that you may have made that person think.

When I get hate email from people who assume I am a Republican, I have to assume they want to either get a rise out of me, or they assume they are emailing to someone that feels the same way they do.
DO NOT FOR ONE SECOND I THINK WHAT YOU SENT WAS HATE EMAIL. I know it isn't.
I'm just trying to tell you that my views are not popular in GT, and it's hard to hold fast to our beliefs when someone puts your core values down.

Never underestimate the power of a Mama doing what she feels is right.

Just keep on doing what you are doing. I would tell you this even if i didn't agree with your stand on Prop 8.
Don't let one person stop all the hard work you did. If you lose a friend over a proposition... what it really a friend to begin with?

Go do it Letti!

Sallie said...

Letti it is okay to be passionate about something. Don't let someone tell you otherwise. Think about the Suffrage Movement, if Susan B. Anthony was not persistent, would we even be allowed to vote today? Not everyone will agree with you, it's okay!
I do feel although the sick out will prove a point, it will still cost us in the end. Isn't it our taxes that pay for our children's education?!

Pedaling said...

it's hard to get negative comments...especially from those you know and love.
i have found it informative and thereaputic to post things on my blog, but not too forward them on the e-mail...that way people have more of a choice to look at your blog or not instead of having something sent to them directly.
so keep on the posting....you may get negative feedback, but i have found that makes things a bit more interesting anyway.
love that video clip at the top....and your side bar and i agree with you
amen to all you've written!

Chantri said...

I am scared of the world today. I am scared for our children. I appreciate your voice. You have taught be a lot. There are always going to be those who have different views, I guess we just have to respect that (as hard as it is) and hope they respect ours as well. I appreciate you working so hard for your beliefs. I agree with you on every subject. Keep on keepin' on. Ignore the bad, relish in the good.
Have a good day and smile!

Tasha said...

Letti, you have been an example to me through this whole Prop 8 thing. You have continued and continued to work so hard to share and spread and teach about it and helped me to do the same. Thank you for taking a stand and for speaking out!

Anonymous said...

Letti,
Absolutely do not stop standing up for what you believe!!! That is how bullys win. To be honest, I am not sure how I am going to vote on this issue, only because I do not want in in the schools. We all know once something is on the books, there is always one person/group that is going to try to challenge the system to prove it can be done. They say there is no way for the schools to be forced to teach this, but I just don't believe it. Trivial lawsuits win all the time and this would not be trivial by any means.
By you posting and sending info out to people, it provides other ways to look at the situation. Not only this particular one, but all. I am no way offended or insulted by what is put in front of me, it is my choice if i want to read it or put it aside. But by putting it aside, i am not growing or enriching my mind.
The same goes for a couple of the emails i have sent out re: the presidential candidates and how i don't like mccain and palin. i am in no way political, but this is very important to me. i actually close my eyes and hold my breath when i hit send. i hope no one takes offense by what i send, but i hope that it is at least being read and thought about.

These are all important issues in a very scary time. if we don't stand up for what we believe, then who will? letti, if you back down on this and don't stand up for your beliefs, what will the next thing be that you let slide? your kids are watching you, let them see that even though someone didn't like it, you still kept on.
besides, whoever it was that was offended and responded negatively,then it is their problem, not yours.
Well, now that i used up all your remark section, i guess i better get off my soapbox. Stay tuff girlfriend!
marianne :-)

Beki said...

Letti I love all of your e-mails. It has helped me be able to understand and explain what will happen with Prop 8 if it is not passed. I agree with above comments that if someone doesn't want to hear about it, they can just delete it. We all have freedom of speech and you are letting yours be known. I love you girly.

Michelle said...

Letti, I have to say that if these people are on your contact list then they should be those that know you very well and should not be offended by such things. We all have our personal differences and can still be friends. Don't be worried about standing up for what you think is right.

Jessica said...

I think its great to be so pasionate about something and to do whatever you feel to "get your message" out there.

Holly said...

Letti,

I'm so proud of you, you are making a difference over there in CA! It's wonderful!! :) Keep up the great work. We need your voice to be heard! :)

Alysia Cook said...

I can't imagine the tension that there must be in CA right now and I REALLY admire you for standing up for what you and I know is right. Keep up the good work. There will be discouraging moments but don't let it bring you down, I think too many of us have been too quiet for too long. You go girl!!!

pollywallydoodle said...

Letty, I know I am lucky #13 to put a comment but let me say WOW!! For such a little thing you are MIGHTY!!Keep up the good work it is so important to be heard and to always be standing on the right side!! GOOD LUCK--everyone is praying for our brothers and sisters in California!! xoxoxoxoxo