Friday, October 24, 2008
{at what age?}
Is it ok to leave your child home alone and/or watching their siblings? My sister and I were talking about this last night and I thought it would be nice to hear what you guys think it would be? I have left Chase home alone to watch the kids so that I could run a few errands. I started leaving him home around the age of 11. If I needed to take the girls to a friends house or pick someone up from practice I would leave him at home. I also would do it if Cole was sleeping so that I didn't have to wake him up. I also think that it depends on the child. Like in my situation I won't leave Garrett home to watch the kids because I feel like he isn't ready yet and he doesn't do as well around young kids like Chase. Garrett also is an only child at his mom's house and he isn't really around younger kids except when he is at our house. I don't think that their can really be an age put on it because everyone is different. Now I don't believe an 8 year old is capable but their are some 15 year old kids that I wouldn't trust with my children either. So in an emergency if the police were called to my house would I be in trouble for leaving Chase home? Is there a law that states a specific age?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Okay... I know that 14 is the legal age... if something were to happen, the cops don't want to see anyone younger than 14 taking care of kids... BUT I know tons of people that leave their kids way younger, like 10, or 11.
I used to babysit for people with NEWBORNS at 11 and 12, all night long! Crazy, right? yep... did it all the time.
We also had boy babysitters when I was growing up. They were awesome.
Nowadays, it is so frowned upon.
We just started leaving Will with his bro's this year. He's 14 1/2.
With the jerks behind us, we couldn't take the chance when they were younger. And with the idiots down the street, we leave them less and less, now that they have been expelled from school. The one's down the street, not my kids lol!
I thought the legal age for the police was 13. Although, I have gotten 12 year old babysitters before (infact tonight because I couldn't find older ones that could do it and I am still okay with it.) I started when I was around 12 and did it all the time. Usually I only get 13 or older (usually around 13-14 year olds because they still want to do it and are not as busy as some of the older). But, I think you are still okay with Chase. He is already 12, so I think you are totally fine. I completely agree that it depends on the child though. There are 14-15 year olds I won't get either and yet tonight I am fine with the 12 year old I am getting. So, it just depends.
The truth is from my research this is no age. I looked it up before for my sis, who was leaving her son at home. Honestly, I didn't agree with it, but he is very responsibile. Very. I just was worried about him. She asked someone (a police officer that was a friend) and they said there was no age. I couldn't believe it and then I looked it up. There are a couple states that have laws with a specific age or guidelines on how long and rules and such, but otherwise it's up to you. I am pretty sure California does not have an age, but I would check. I think 12 is the recommended age, but I do run to Amelia's to grab something kids are at home, but I don't stay there. Then again, she lives across the street.
That's a tricky one, I know Chase is great with kids, but what if something happened when he was alone, would you want him to have to handle it like an adult, or what if something happened to you while you were out and could not get back to him, although you have a lot great friends, family and neighbors near by. I really can't say because my kids are not old enough, and it is not even an option for me...yet!
We sometime leave our almost 11 yr old home with the other crazies. But he does a good job and we are never gone too long. Usually just to run to the store to pick up a quick gallon of milk. :)
Wow, I THOUGHT legal age was 12... guess we need to ask!
Just my opinion- I think 11 or 12 depending on the kid and circumstances. Yeah, they might not be able to handle every situation perfectly, but I don't that I would either! Plus, hopefully you have good neighbors that would be there to help in an instant.
wow.. good topic... For me.. I don't think I would leave my child/children alone with someone that could not drive to a hospital if neccessary... I say 16.. but maturity matters...
~g
Well, I guess it depends on the cops you ask... I did a cop's wives show last night, and one of the wives is a reader of mine, and she said the age is 13, another one said it was 14, and still another said it depends on the maturity and the number of younger children in his/her care.
So... I was wrong...
I don't know anything!
I started baby sitting other peoples kids when I was 10. BUt my sister and I were pretty mature 10 year olds. Things are different now, but if it makes you feel better I would be comfortable leaving my kids with Chase for a short time. He's great with kids. But if it was a few hours I would be cautious only because if there were an emergency maybe he would be too young to deal with it.
Great topic! I loved reading what everyone had to say!!
I think that 11-12 is the perfect age. As long as the kid can handle it. I actually started very young, but I had a different messed up kind of family. If you feel comfortable leaving him with the kids then you're fine. As for the legal age, when I was a teenager it was 12, I guess that it's gone up a little.
I agree with Gina. I know that every kid is diff, but if I heard a story on the news and it was something to do with 11,12,13,14 or even 15 year old being in charge of other kids and something had gone wrong I do think that I would sat that child had no reason being in charge. That's just my opinion though and I know that things come up...so you just need to use your judgement.
Post a Comment