Monday, January 7, 2008

family home evening


I have been thinking a lot lately about family home evening and scripture study in our home. Our family has never been strong in either of these two things. One of my new years resolutions was to work harder at having family home evening every Monday and Scripture study every night. The year has not started out too good. We have not read our scriptures once so because tonight is the first Monday of the new year and I have been trying to plan a family home evening geared to scripture study. My mom gave me this wonderful quote by President Faust and I thought I would share it with you.

"I wonder if having unplanned and infrequent family home evenings will be enough to fortify ourselves and our children with sufficient moral strength to meet the complexities of our day. Infrequent family scripture study may be inadequate to arm ourselves and our children with the virtue necessary to withstand the moral decay of the environment in which we live. Where in the world will we learn chastity, integrity, honesty, and basic human decency if not at home? These values will, of course, be reinforced at church, but teaching them in family home evening can be particularly consistent and effective. To combat the world's evil influences, we need the strength that comes from family home evening."

I love this quote. It has really opened up a lot of emotions in me. As my children are getting older I feel it is so important to protect them from all of the outside pressures that they will be receiving. I know that I will need all the help I can get from our heavenly father and by having regular family home evenings, daily scripture study, and nightly family prayers I can help protect my children.

7 comments:

lynda said...

thanks letti! that is just the boost i needed. love ya!

heart nan said...

It is not just by chance that those things are on your mind now. Act on your feelings, you will be given strength and power as you 'go and do'
I know my "great"grandchildren will be safe with that kind of armor on them!!!
heart,
your well-pleased mom

Sandra said...

Letti,

What a changed world we would have if every parent were as worried about their childrens spiritual well-being as they are about their physical well-being. I feel so blessed to live 2 doors down from someone that thinks the way I do! About 6 months ago we started a dinner discussion topic every night.
Alex loves to start dinner out by saying "What's the topic tonight, Mom or Dad?"
It really keeps me on my toes to have a topic ready and pertinent to the day or week or climate of our worlds events.
99% of the time it turns into a spriritual discussion that is priceless, and they do most of the talking. I learn so much from my kidlets!

Chantri said...

you are such a wonderful & amazing person. So glad I can call you friend. You make me such a better person...which makes me a better wife & mom. I need to do better at this as well...I'm going to add it to my resolution...thanks for sharing.

Tasha said...

I love that quote Letti. It surged up emotions in me too. It is one of those just boosts to be a little better and stronger. Thank you for sharing it!!! I think I am going to print it out where I can see it often.

Tasha said...

PS Was that Zoe getting baptized? When did she get baptized. How neat for all of you to have been there. It made me miss Lynda and all the Carmack! If you are reading this Lynda . . . I miss you!

Alison said...

Love this post Letti! Thanks for the great quotes and reminders to do what we're supposed to be doing. My kids absolutely love family home evening and let us know when we've missed it! We need to be better about having it every single week. This was the boost I needed! Thanks!