Monday, December 27, 2010

{my first rolls ever}

While visiting my sister in Texas she showed me how to make bread without a fancy mixer. I have tried to make bread before but it has never turned out. To be honest I am afraid of yeast. After my sister showed me I was shocked at how easy and simple it really is. Here is a picture of my very first rolls that I made here at home all by myself. My family ate them all right out of the oven. I am so happy that I know how to make my own rolls now.

Amish White Bread

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour

Directions
1.In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
2.Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3.Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

4 comments:

lynda said...

Yum! Those look so good!

Sandra said...

Letti... I LOVE 50 FEET FROM YOU... come over and I'll show you how I make all my bread... NO KNEADING... no mixer... just a bowl, a spoon, and four ingredients...

I'm home all week!

Anonymous said...

They look delicious! I am afraid of yeast too, my breads never turn out as good as others.

Tasha said...

Go you!! Yummy. I love homemade rolls. Maybe I will try this recipe. I love learning new bread recipes.